Tuesday, April 13, 2010

What do you think about a pentium 4 CPU? (single core)

do you think more games need to continue to support it or it should be fased out completely?What do you think about a pentium 4 CPU? (single core)
apparently according to this survey only about 1/4 of the people on steam have single core. Much lower than i thought.[url]http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/cpus/[/url]What do you think about a pentium 4 CPU? (single core)
I don't think its necessary. Low system requirements are great and all, but the damn thing is, what, six years out of date?
It's not about games supporting it, it's about how much power they need, and P4 is and was an obsolete CPU, it's architecture was the worst thing Intel did, the temperature, power usage were off the charts and performance wasn't good enough to justify that.Considering the price of new CPUs and their performance, a P4 isn't worth it, besides are they still making it? I doubt they would make anything that isn't dual core nowadays, if somebody has a P4, well it's time for an upgrade.
It sucks man, really.. P4 not at all meets the requirement to play the kind of games are being released nowadays! like a lots of RPGs
''it's about how much power they need,'' you mean how much power the game needs right? well thats not completely true, some games completely ignore support for single core. Any game SHOULD be able to run on a P4 no matter how ugly the graphics become. Proof is that almost every game that doesnt support single core the community has created hacks or w/e you want to call them to make it run on single core.
Yes I was talking about the games, and no, it's not about graphics, graphics have nothing to do with it, but there are games nowadays that are too complex for an P4, like GTA IV, CoH, WiC and others, sure they work but the thing is they don't work that good. The CPU isn't supported by Intel anymore and you want games to support them. Games have gone a long way since P4, now they have physics engines that depend on the CPU, like Havok and Euphoria, and many other things that depend heavily on the CPU. And there are no games that I know that aren't supported by P4s, but I do now that most complex, recent games, can't run well on an obsolete CPU like it.
[QUOTE=''zero9167'']''it's about how much power they need,'' you mean how much power the game needs right? well thats not completely true, some games completely ignore support for single core. Any game SHOULD be able to run on a P4 no matter how ugly the graphics become. Proof is that almost every game that doesnt support single core the community has created hacks or w/e you want to call them to make it run on single core.[/QUOTE]Then what's the point of playing a 3d game with 2d like textures..I mean without shadows or specularity!!
[QUOTE=''DanielDust'']Yes I was talking about the games, and no, it's not about graphics, graphics have nothing to do with it, but there are games nowadays that are too complex for an P4, like GTA IV, CoH, WiC and others, sure they work but the thing is they don't work that good. The CPU isn't supported by Intel anymore and you want games to support them. Games have gone a long way since P4, now they have physics engines that depend on the CPU, like Havok and Euphoria, and many other things that depend heavily on the CPU. And there are no games that I know that aren't supported by P4s, but I do now that most complex, recent games, can't run well on an obsolete CPU like it.[/QUOTE]I must disagree. I ran games like CoH, Supreme Commander, and others that were cpu heavy on a p4 @ 3.4ghz up until last year. That CPU kept on trucking.Not only that but i ran those games at very high settings. Granted, I had a great graphics card from 2004 that stayed with me for 5 years, but the cpu was sharing alot of the load and handled it fine.
I find it hard to believe that a P4, even a 3.6 one can play Sup Com with 1K units or more on screen, WiC and CoH too.Especially a game like Sup Com, that is pretty much the only game that takes advantage of even a quad core CPU.My cousin had an overclocked 3.5 ghz P4 (normally it was a 3.4) and WiC and CoH stuttered a lot, and it wasn't because of the graphics card, since it was goot enough to run them at medium, tho he played them on low.
People with P4s need to just bite the bullet and upgrade.You could reuse everything from your old system, and buy a new motherboard and dual core CPU. My motherboard and CPU (and E2200, great value, great overclocker) only cost me ?00.
They were great CPUs....they just ran too hot...
I always preferred the AMD 64 to the P4. Before I moved to a Core 2 Duo, thats what I used.
My 2nd PC has a Pentium 4 and still can play some games but I assume by the end of the year it wil have been outdated completley and it will require a completely new system. I've had it since around 05/06 so it's only a matter of time before it dies we the thing has run at around 90c the entire time.
[QUOTE=''DanielDust'']Yes I was talking about the games, and no, it's not about graphics, graphics have nothing to do with it, but there are games nowadays that are too complex for an P4, like GTA IV, CoH, WiC and others, sure they work but the thing is they don't work that good. The CPU isn't supported by Intel anymore and you want games to support them. Games have gone a long way since P4, now they have physics engines that depend on the CPU, like Havok and Euphoria, and many other things that depend heavily on the CPU. And there are no games that I know that aren't supported by P4s, but I do now that most complex, recent games, can't run well on an obsolete CPU like it.[/QUOTE]actually CoH and WiC work perfectly on a P4. The games i am talking about in particular are UE3 games like bioshock and UT3
The system i am using i bought in jan 05. I'm pretty sure my mobo supports dual core but i dont have any experience replacing the CPU. And if i did buy a new Mobo i probably wouldn't be able to use my GPU (x1950GT AGP great card for the games i play, only thing it isnt good at is crysis but thats proabbly just my cpu bottlenecking it)
Weird, because UE 3 games actually play decent on a P4 at least from what I saw at my cousin (UT 3 and FFoW).
[QUOTE=''DanielDust'']Weird, because UE 3 games actually play decent on a P4 at least from what I saw at my cousin (UT 3 and FFoW).[/QUOTE]UT3 works but i think they could have done better for single core support. What is FFoW? Oh and also most recently Demigod. It plays ok on single core but it's such a small scale game it shouldn't be such a CPU hog.
Frontlines Fuel of War, and Demigod isn't really a small scale game, the background isn't just a picture and it's a pretty complex game, it had some issues but they patched it and it runs a little better now, like it should but it still has connection problems in Europe :( that's the only reason I'm not playing it, I hope they solve the connection problems soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment