Thursday, April 15, 2010

I hate MMO games

Why are publishers pushing these games so hard? Now they are developing KOTOR MMO so instead of a gripping, dramatic story full of twists and turns I get to play with characters like Left Nutz and Right Nutz who are l33t and will pwn my a55. Look, I play computer games because I don't like to play with people, same reason I read books and watch movies (more interesting than people). If... if I play multiplayer games, it's either some tactical shooter where you get the benefits of intelligence without the drawbacks of personality or Second Life where you don't really 'play' anything.



I hate this MMO trend, instead of concentrating on AI and storylines, the developers want to push me back to the playground with all those idiots all over again. Enough!I hate MMO games
[QUOTE=''Zoibee'']Why are publishers pushing these games so hard? Now they are developing KOTOR MMO so instead of a gripping, dramatic story full of twists and turns I get to play with characters like Left Nutz and Right Nutz who are l33t and will pwn my a55. Look, I play computer games because I don't like to play with people, same reason I read books and watch movies (more interesting than people). If... if I play multiplayer games, it's either some tactical shooter where you get the benefits of intelligence without the drawbacks of personality or Second Life where you don't really 'play' anything. I hate this MMO trend, instead of concentrating on AI and storylines, the developers want to push me back to the playground with all those idiots all over again. Enough![/QUOTE] Hmmmm Why are publishers pushing these games so hard. Well lets do the math $15 a month times 10 million subscribers = $150,000,000 a month. Even if you assume you only get a million subscribers you make more in a year than any other genre of game I hate MMO games
im going to jump on the MMO-hate train...
It's all about the money. Developers will start to consider single-player gamers a niche market in comparison to how much more money they make with MMOs.
[QUOTE=''GodLovesDead'']It's all about the money. Developers will start to consider single-player gamers a niche market in comparison to how much more money they make with MMOs.[/QUOTE]sadly enough, thats just how it is, and untill someone makes an MMO that requires skill, not just the primitive ability of button-mashing, i will always hate MMO's though...
[QUOTE=''GodLovesDead'']It's all about the money. Developers will start to consider single-player gamers a niche market in comparison to how much more money they make with MMOs.[/QUOTE]



There should be tools for rapid and cheap development of games, so that niche games wouldn't be financial suicide for the developers. That way when they get a great story and a great concept, they can go ahead and make a good game without dumbing it down for the widest market possible.



I like Bohemia Interactive Studio with their Operation Flashpoint / Armed Assault as well as Paradox Interactive with Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron and Victoria. Those are really awesome niche games that weren't designed with idiots in mind and it would be great if there were more companies and games like these.
--- There should be tools for rapid and cheap development of games, so that niche games wouldn't be financial suicide for the developers. That way when they get a great story and a great concept, they can go ahead and make a good game without dumbing it down for the widest market possible.I agree that there should be easier routes to make any game in particular but that changes the minute you make it MMO. Making a game tools when it's SP, that's one thing; making that game MP now brings in more things to worry (netcode anyone? balance comes to mind); and then when you set forth to make an MMO game, you have a host to consider. And with these cheaper tools, anyone with a bit of money will start putting out their kind...kinda like you see now with all the free (but buy the cool stuff online for real money...yeah, let's legalize gold farming) web based ones.
[QUOTE=''Zoibee'']Why are publishers pushing these games so hard?[/QUOTE] Even the relatively unsuccessful ones can make a lot of money.
MMOs could be a lot more than they are right now.
[QUOTE=''RK-Mara'']MMOs could be a lot more than they are right now.[/QUOTE] i agree i think mmo games have a great potential that they havent even begin to really tap into yet... in the next few years gaming is going to be introduced to every mmo you can think of...mmo/fpsmmo/rpg mmo/tpsmmo/strategymmo/actionmmo/mmo lol
[QUOTE=''RK-Mara'']MMOs could be a lot more than they are right now.[/QUOTE]



The problem I have with MMOs is that there are other people playing with/against me. I don't see playing games as a social activity but I'm being gradually forced into it because everything is going online MP these days...
[QUOTE=''Zoibee''][QUOTE=''RK-Mara'']MMOs could be a lot more than they are right now.[/QUOTE] The problem I have with MMOs is that there are other people playing with/against me. I don't see playing games as a social activity but I'm being gradually forced into it because everything is going online MP these days...[/QUOTE]then just dont play them... i highly doubt they are gonna stop making single player games.
[QUOTE=''Zoibee'']Why are publishers pushing these games so hard? Now they are developing KOTOR MMO so instead of a gripping, dramatic story full of twists and turns I get to play with characters like Left Nutz and Right Nutz who are l33t and will pwn my a55. Look, I play computer games because I don't like to play with people, same reason I read books and watch movies (more interesting than people). [/QUOTE] lol, it's hard to find such liked mind:) I love humanity, but not people.however, I don't hate mmo games; I still get my share of SP games to play. If one day PC gaming is gone totally MMO, that'll be the day I stop playing new released games. I still won't *hate* MMO. I just don't touch it. and mutually left alone.
yeah id prefer a singleplayer isntead i dont hate mmo i ignore them dont like wasting my time with leveling up without meaining!
I also have very, very, very little interest in any MMO gaming. If you're specifically disappointed that the next KOTOR is going to an MMO, that's one thing, however, generally it seems to me there are puhlenty of SP games.Continue to speak with your wallet!! Support the games you'd like to see. If you and I get ''out-voted'' then maybe we have no choice, however, there are still some very fundamental problems that MMO gaming needs to overcome to appeal to everyone. Personally, I'm hardly concerned ;) let the market saturate.
when WoW dies off mmo's will become alot better. almost every mmo that has come out recently has pretty much just copied wow.
i am personally looking forward to Kotor being an mmo... knights of the old republic spans several thousand years.. it doesnt have to be a sequel to kotor 1 and 2(which i played, beat and loved).... it can just be in the same universe.... star wars(including kotor) has great potential for a good mmo... just as long as they dont let someone else come in and ruin it.im looking forward to Huxley, i believe if done right it could be a sweet game..or this one hasnt been announced but would be pretty sweet... AvP mmo/fps... aliens vs. predator mmo/fps... with rpg elements that would be so freaking sweet...but hey to each their own.
[QUOTE=''fatshodan''][QUOTE=''Zoibee'']Why are publishers pushing these games so hard?[/QUOTE] Even the relatively unsuccessful ones can make a lot of money. [/QUOTE][singsong]Bingo![/singsong]It's all about money. Publishers have found that MMOs are more lucrative, so that's what they're backing. Plain and Simple. It's unfortunate.
mmo's are the most fun for the money. there is always somthing to do.
To the original poster:You are making great generalizations concerning MMO communities. Sure if you play WoW or perhaps even Warhammer your going to find general spam full of morons. This may be the case with every game, albeit some more than others, but MMO's allow you to form communities and some MMO's have great ones! EverQuest anyone????!!! Besides if people annoy you just /ignore said person and move on. It's about forming interactions between people, but if you don't like to do that even then I suppose nothing is going to change your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment