Thursday, April 15, 2010

Sims 3: 120 FPS game still skips when scrolling

Even with action going on, I can get up to 120 FPS during the Sims 3, yet whenever I try to scroll around, it lags and skips instead of a smooth scroll. It's so irritating!Win XP SP3AMD Windsor 3.2 DualcoreATI 4870 1gb3gig ramAudigy 2250 gig harddrive 75% free spaceAny ideas at what could be happening? I heard rumors on the official forums about two versions being released, and basically some people got screwed. Any merit to this?I would post this on the official forum, but alas, it won't let me post even though my game is registered and I even downloaded the free town (which sucks btw).Thanks guys.Sims 3: 120 FPS game still skips when scrolling
try turning on Vsync.Sims 3: 120 FPS game still skips when scrolling
Thanks,I tried that and same results.What really pisses me off is that I can't even post on the official forums for help!
Same thing for me...:(. Hopefully they will patch it because there is something wrong with it.
hmmm strange........maybe just have a fiddle with all the different graphics settings for a while and see if anything improves it....that's all I can think of because if your getting 120+ Frames in some areas in shouldn't really lag in others....sorry I couldn't help
Oddly enough I had similar issues with the very first game back in the day. Game played fine, but scrolling was slow as molasses.
Check in the ATI control center and see if you have adaptive anti-alising turned on, if so turn it off as ive heard alot of people having issues with this
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
i have the same problem. im getting good frame rate when the camera is still. but whenever i scroll in and out it skips and hiccups so bad, i see texture pop up just like how gears of war.
yeah same problem it is very annoying
Core i7 920, GTX 275, VISTA 64 - at 1680*1050 (with all sliders maxed)It's annoying.I can't turn the camera around 360 degrees without the game stuttering and skipping - it's not a frame-rate issue though. I've noticed, as well, that when my Sims pick up the pace, and start running somewhere, or if they hop in a cab, that the game really starts stuttering. This is why I'm walking my character to locations.I can only assume that this is a processor thing, since every single sim, all around, is being simulated. I tried building a massive housing complex in The Sims 2 one time, on a single lot, and this is exactly what happened.Here in The Sims 3 it's not intolerable... and I am starting to get used to it... but I wish that it were a lot smoother. That said, it's pretty incredible what EA has done here. The entire game is taking place on one massive lot, with every blasted sim being simulated. It's just awesome. I'm two days in now, and I'm only just beginnning to see how much depth there is here.Right now I'm taking over the sea-side, and am filling all the waterfront properties with my own sims, and my own housing developments. It's awesome. Everyone's getting to know on another, and everyone's using everyone else's stuff - THIS is what I had wanted to do in The Sims 2 and couldn't.
Think of it as a RTS game. Once you browse through the whole map, the stuttering will decrease.
Same here..
I have no idea why I thought that The Sims 3 wasn't that much better looking than The Sims 2 - I can see now that it's much better looking. (maxed out, that is)I've finally figured out that the best camera angle (at least for me) is having the camera right down on the ground, as low as it will go, and then tilting it so that it's perfectly horizontal - playing this way makes me feel almost as though I'm playing a 3'rd person RPG. What's amazing is that you can then use the < and > keys to rotate the camera around your sim (when your sim is selected, of course). You can see for at least a quarter of a mile ahead of you, and then it really begins to dawn on you, that the scope of this game is so much greater than The Sims 2.(Also, playing with the camera down low like that seems to have caused the stuttering to happen less frequently - I'm now walking my characters everywhere. It's fascinating.)Honestly, I have no idea how anybody (who's actually played this game) can even remotely compare The Sims 3 with either of its predecessors. This isn't a baby step here, it's a giant leap forward.It's only now that I'm really starting to get excited about this.
The other thing I was wondering about was system heat.Where I live, we're experiencing a heat wave. My 3 month old computer (core i7 920, GTX 275) has never ramped up its fans the way it has while I've been playing The Sims 3. I'm wondering if it's the game, or if it's this heat wave we're having?I was playing Far Cry 2 last night, and the fans didn't ramp up at all, so it must be The Sims 3, right? Anybody else experiencing this?(And by the way, the reason I'm posting this here is that at the Official Sims 3 forum posts are falling off the board at a ridiculous rate - it's shocking how many people are posting comments over there. You post a comment, and then five minutes later your comment is on page 5, lost in a sea of posts. I've never seen a board experience so much traffic - even Bethesda's forum wasn't that busy on the day of Fallout 3's release, and that day was crazy.)
[QUOTE=''Charles_Dickens'']The other thing I was wondering about was system heat.Where I live, we're experiencing a heat wave. My 3 month old computer (core i7 920, GTX 275) has never ramped up its fans the way it has while I've been playing The Sims 3. I'm wondering if it's the game, or if it's this heat wave we're having?I was playing Far Cry 2 last night, and the fans didn't ramp up at all, so it must be The Sims 3, right? Anybody else experiencing this?[/QUOTE]You can force on vsync through the Nvidia control panel. That will make the max fps at 60fps so it's not wasting anything.
I am having exact same prob my specs are:C2Q 8200@3ghz,4Gb ram and 260gtx core 216 also hdd is 660 gb.
[QUOTE=''brandojones''][QUOTE=''Charles_Dickens'']The other thing I was wondering about was system heat.Where I live, we're experiencing a heat wave. My 3 month old computer (core i7 920, GTX 275) has never ramped up its fans the way it has while I've been playing The Sims 3. I'm wondering if it's the game, or if it's this heat wave we're having?I was playing Far Cry 2 last night, and the fans didn't ramp up at all, so it must be The Sims 3, right? Anybody else experiencing this?[/QUOTE]You can force on vsync through the Nvidia control panel. That will make the max fps at 60fps so it's not wasting anything.[/QUOTE]



Okay, thanks.
Now that I know that other people are experiencing this, it doesn't actually bother me anymore. On my system, it was fairly minor to begin with.
try turning off all anti alising both in the ati control pannel and the game settings, see if that works.

No comments:

Post a Comment