Thursday, April 15, 2010

Is Planescape Torment the best RPG ever made?

If so, why?Is Planescape Torment the best RPG ever made?
No. Fallout 2 is. Is Planescape Torment the best RPG ever made?
The story.
Not just the best RPG ever made, the best game ever DESIGNED.
[QUOTE=''Cerussite'']No. Fallout 2 is. [/QUOTE]
While Fallout 2 was utterly brilliant, it's still only second best to Torment. :P
[QUOTE=''Rottenberry'']Not just the best RPG ever made, the best game ever DESIGNED.[/QUOTE]true true !!!
If Torment was remade with FULL voice acting (the most important part for me in an RPG, I'm playing a game not a book), cinematic and emotional cutscenes like in MGS and Mass Effect (IMO Mass Effect is the best RPG ever just because of how much cinematic and emotional the story is), view like in NwN 2 (and of course 3d graphics) and was made a bit longer THEN it would be the best RPG ever made, but in this state it's not even even in my TOP 5 RPGs of all time nor is any older RPG that doesn't have (or has only a little) voice acting
definitely one of the top 5.1. bg22. fallout3. fallout 24. ultima 75. planescape: torment
I'd call it a close second to Fallout.
It was fantastic, but I enjoyed Morrowind more.
I miss that floating skull head. :)
For me, I always include Torment as a sub-variation of Baldur's Gate, which is on my top 3. I feel that no matter if you prefer 1 or the other, they are a different part of the same global thing. The modron is definitely nice, and Fall-from-Grace is not without interest, remind me a girl who wouldn't understand what NO means. :P Top 1 is on the left (GOLD BOXES). :) The other great thing is City of Villains, despite all the flaws, the poor balancing, the nerfs in the name of balancing (which worsen the balancing issues, never even remotedly solve anything), the MMO component allows you to play with real peoples, which is definitely nice.
[QUOTE=''Darth_Kane'']If Torment was remade with FULL voice acting (the most important part for me in an RPG, I'm playing a game not a book), cinematic and emotional cutscenes like in MGS and Mass Effect (IMO Mass Effect is the best RPG ever just because of how much cinematic and emotional the story is), view like in NwN 2 (and of course 3d graphics) and was made a bit longer THEN it would be the best RPG ever made, but in this state it's not even even in my TOP 5 RPGs of all time nor is any older RPG that doesn't have (or has only a little) voice acting[/QUOTE]

Yes, reading is quite a challenging feat to accomplish, isn't it?
[QUOTE=''Rottenberry''][QUOTE=''Darth_Kane'']If Torment was remade with FULL voice acting (the most important part for me in an RPG, I'm playing a game not a book), cinematic and emotional cutscenes like in MGS and Mass Effect (IMO Mass Effect is the best RPG ever just because of how much cinematic and emotional the story is), view like in NwN 2 (and of course 3d graphics) and was made a bit longer THEN it would be the best RPG ever made, but in this state it's not even even in my TOP 5 RPGs of all time nor is any older RPG that doesn't have (or has only a little) voice acting[/QUOTE]

Yes, reading is quite a challenging feat to accomplish, isn't it?[/QUOTE]No, I read books (about 1 per month), but I want games to be more like movies (that's why my all-time favourite game is Metal Gear Solid 1). Besides reading a book in a monitor is hard and stupid. When I play older RPGs, at first I read the text, but after an hour it gets boring and I skip most of the text and I can't play older RPGs for more than 2 straight hours while in newer RPGs in my first playthrough I play them for 8 straight hours and still want more (I have to sleep sometime you know). I Barely managed to finsih NwN 1, Fallout series and Torment because they got boring after an hour or 2 because of the text (never actually finished Baldur's Gate and IceWind Dale, I'll wait for the NwN 2 modules remakes). And all that RTS view is just stupid, most of the time I can't notice some doorsFor me, older RPGs aren't in the least bit addictive and wouldn't play them a second time (Torment is an exeption)
While it is not a PC RPG, Chrono Trigger must be in any conversation about the best RPG of all time.
Sixteen posts and not one mention of Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines? For shame...
I honestly think Vampire Bloodlines: The Masquerade wasn't anything too special. Don't get me wrong, it was definitely atmospheric and had a pretty engrossing story, but I just think it isn't really that pinnacle of RPGs that I often see people make it out to be. I think that a big reason people tend to give it so much praise is because it was made by Troika.
[QUOTE=''ShadyKidd'']While it is not a PC RPG, Chrono Trigger must be in any conversation about the best RPG of all time. [/QUOTE]:lol: :lol: :lol: Please don't insult the genre by calling J''RPGs'' role playing gamesJRPGs aren't real RPGs. They are action adventure games. There are no choices (in dialogue or quest, you can't choose be good or evil), no consequences, no customization( in most J''RPGs'' you can't choose your race and class and and every one of them you can't costumise your face), too linear... Where's the ROLE PLAYING in that ? I'm always forced to be the good guy!

In RPGs the character you are controlling is supposed to be like you (that's why it's called ROLE PLAYING)

I still like them, but they aren't RPGs

Japanese games have the most unoriginal and repetitive stories ever

In every last one of them it's: ''you killed my master or destroyed my village, now you want to conquer the world and I the girly virgin teenager that is afraid of girls and has huge eyes with my yu-gi-oh hair and my oversized blade will stop you''

Play Planescape: Torment, The Witcher or KOTOR and see what true role playing means
[QUOTE=''Rottenberry'']I honestly think Vampire Bloodlines: The Masquerade wasn't anything too special. Don't get me wrong, it was definitely atmospheric and had a pretty engrossing story, but I just think it isn't really that pinnacle of RPGs that I often see people make it out to be. I think that a big reason people tend to give it so much praise is because it was made by Troika.[/QUOTE]The reason I consider Bloodlines the best RPG ever made is because, amongst numerous other reasons, experience is only awarded for completing quests. And what this means is that there's a very strong focus on how you complete the quests. In just about all other RPGs I've played, you complete a quest by fighting your way to the end of it. There may be some options, but you're pretty much going to fight there and that's it.As an example, I may want to be a thief/assassin. Why, then, is that thief fighting enemies toe to toe? That's not how a thief would operate - in most cases, the thief would not fight at all. In Bloodlines, there's a number of ways each quest can be completed, and your own playstyle defers to that of your class. A stealthy character would literally be a stealthy character - you would not fight, except on rare occasion, and you would lose little or nothing in not fighting, because experience is earned through completing quests, and items are of little value. And, to me, that's what roleplaying is. Most RPGs totally miss this entire concept - but Troika seems to be one of the few - or only - developers to make games with actual roleplaying. Playing the game as a Gangrel, then a Malkavian, then a Nosferatu gives a radically different experience each time, while in all other roleplaying games I've played, the core experience is pretty much just the same, and the only thing that changes is how you fight your enemies. I didn't know who Troika was when I bought the game, and I wasn't a huge fan of RPGs - but Bloodlines made me realise that I wasn't very fond of the genre because so few were actually that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment